Crossfit: There’s a first time for everything, unfortunately.

Have you ever done Crossfit? Sprue Jr. has been wanting to for a while, so I bought her a Groupon to a “box” nearby for Christmas. I knew I’d never try it without a buddy, so I got myself one, too.

Last night, we went for the first time. Today, I have no idea what to say in response to such basic questions as “How’d it go?” or “Did you like it?” To sort it out, I’ve turned to facts.

Body parts that don’t hurt: 0.

That’s an exaggeration; my forehead feels okay.

Percentage of kneecaps covered in bruise: 100.

That’s not an exaggeration. Repeatedly throwing yourself onto a wood floor to do “the one exercise to rule them all” will do that (if you’re doing it wrong).

bruised knees from doing burpees at Crossfit

This will look even prettier tomorrow.

Degrees to which I can raise my arms: 20.

Wait. You want me to do four minutes of pushups?

New exercises I learned: 0.

But I did get forced to do ones that I would never, ever, ever do on my own. And do a lot of them. Really badly.

Number of times the instructor singled me out: a lot.

I was the group’s “problem child.” Whenever I thought I was doing something right, I wasn’t.

Likelihood I’m going back: ?!

It’s important for even those of us with chronic illnesses to do what we can to get or stay fit. And you may recall that last year I was suffering from daily-cardio-induced workout fatigue, so it makes sense to try something new. Besides smacking painfully of gym class, this was certainly new.

The decision shouldn’t be made while too sore to think, so I’ll reserve judgment. For now, I’m working on a response to, “How are you?”

Are you trying any new health or fitness strategies this year? And…how’s that going?

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Crossfit: There’s a first time for everything, unfortunately.

1. For the first little while, you will look stupid and feel stupid doing Crossfit. Just don’t feel embarrassed or let it stop you! It gets better.

2. cav513 says:

I think Crossfit is insane, and to be avoided like the plague. You know this is just the latest fad, and like all fads, it will eventually fade…unfortunately, lots of people will have been injured, or turned away from even reasonable exercise. Walk, swim, dance and lift weights if you want to work out.

• Molly says:

The actual exercises we did in the class were fine in themselves, but I wasn’t a fan of being pushed to do them over and over with terrible form. Can’t imagine that’s really better for you than doing fewer exercises with good form, but what do I know…

3. Welp, I had fun. Burpees for life.

4. Maria says:

I’ll stick with yoga and walking my dog. 🙂

5. Laurie C says:

Ouch! That knee looks awful! I’m sticking to low-impact exercise.

6. I need to stay well long enough to have the stamina to get on my exercise back and pull the Wii back out. I really want to start again.

7. Jake Schwartz says:

Woohoo! burpees!! (you’re one of us now and there’s literally no way to go back to the life you lived before)

8. Oh poor you Molly! Your knee looks awful. I have no idea what exactly cross fit is and now I really don’t want to know!

My exercise is carrying around my lazy toe year old. It gives me decent biceps but that’s about all. What I’d love to do is run around the park – oh, to be alone listening to music, it would feel more like vacation, ha.

• Molly says:

Dana, I hope you find time to get that run in! Even moms should get SOME time to themselves. (Easy to say when not a mom, I’m sure.)

I’m not sure I myself know exactly what Crossfit is, either, besides painful! 😉

9. Mary Kate says:

Thank you for that sort of round-about description, which is enough to convince me that crossfit is something I can safely (and gladly) avoid. I am BAD at most things involving physical coordination, and being singled out for correction (rather than just having an instructor come over and correct me, more privately) is enough to keep me from going back to a class. Also? I trip often enough that throwing myself on the ground on purpose seems counter-productive.

You will survive. But can’t imagine who’d blame you for never going back.

• Molly says:

I think I may have talked myself out of returning with this post, too. The experience was very “bootcamp” (I imagine), and for many reasons I never intend to find myself in one of those!

10. Anonymous says:

Yoga for me!

11. I hope your knee is better, Molly. 🙂

All I know about crossfit is my sister is obsessed with it. It’s changed her life for the better…besides the body reshaping she also stopped smoking because they ‘preach’ clean living. When I listen to her talk about it it sounds like some kind of fitness cult. She even jokes about that. It’s not for me though. With all my lupus joint inflammation I have to stick with yoga / pilates type workouts.

12. rachelmeeks says:

Crossfit is craziness, I don’t see the appeal at all. I’m getting in to Zumba – now THAT’S fun.

• Molly says:

Oh, now that, I haven’t tried yet! I’m soooo uncoordinated so I tend to steer clear of dancey things, but I’m sure it’d still be fun even if I don’t know my right from my left.

13. Nope. Not going to do it!
    Your knee must have looked quite colorful the next few days! Ouch!

14. JEBUS says:

Nice training. Are you ready for anything that comes now? Or are you easy pickings for the rest of the world? JEBUS SHOWS YOU THE WAY!